Directory

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tigger's Mooseloaf Surprise

If you're looking for a "healthy" way to have "meatloaf", this recipe is PERFECT for you!  My friend, Paul, sent me a recipe for his "Tigger's Mooseloaf Surprise", which is basically turkey with vegetables, all mixed up to hide the "healthiness" from those picky eaters in your house.  (His originally submitted recipe is below, and what I did to recreate it is shown in this recipe).  Feel free to substitute the type of vegetables as you like, but try to stick with 1 cup veggies per pound of bird.  Also, the spices are all suggestions only, but if you prepare it exactly as I have shown below, I know your family will be blown away!  I will never make "normal" meatloaf again!

Tigger's Mooseloaf Surprise


Ingredients:
2.5 lbs ground turkey
1 pack McCormick's Meatloaf seasoning mix
4 slices toasted wheat bread
10 crumbled crackers (more or less for texture)
2 eggs
4 finely shredded carrots
1 cup finely shredded broccoli stems and florets
1/2 large red onion (or 1 whole small red onion)
1 head (10-11 cloves) garlic, minced
1 TBS Worcestershire 
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp sage

Topping (optional)
1 cup katsup
2 1/2 TBS spicy brown mustard
1 TBS Worcestershire
3 tsp red pepper flakes
2 TBS brown sugar

Combine all in a large bowl and press into a casserole dish (no more than 2" in thickness across loaf). Cook at 350 degrees for one hour. If wanted, add "topping" during the last 15 minutes of cooking.











ORIGINAL RECIPE As submitted by Paul:
ok here is one, fine tune it as you see fit...
But the main thrust of this is that there is NO milk in the recipe, it has plenty of liquid in it tho (you'll see how, read on McDuff..)
Its called : Tiggers Mooseloaf Surprise
2lbs. 93% lean ground turkey (this is NOT a beef recipe, lol..beef makes me fat, turkey doesnt...its has to do w/ whats in the damn meat, yes rly)
1 packet of meatlof mix I found a cheap one with decent spices/flavors but I also add spices, ill list those later.
2 aigs, uh eggs...
3 TBS (tablespoons, thats the abbreviation right?) Minced garlic, from a jar of cheap stuff is fine..garlic is garlic
1.5-2 (or more, this is where the liquid comes in) CUPS of shredded fresh carrots, finely chopped broccoli, finely chopped onion, add or subtract veggies as you see fit to fine tune it to your taste. Corn is ok, green beans..pretty much anything that you wish, just cut it up real good so Mr. Meat eating-no-veggies-at-all doesnt notice. Thats part of the SURPRISE!
4 pieces of toasted wheat bread, cubed - I used 4, you can use more/less as you see fit.
Spices: 
Cumin - to taste, me, I dont mind the flavor really in the middle, but a little does go a long long way.
Black pepper - to taste.
Hoisin sauce if you want, a nice squirt (1-2 TBS)
Good dash of red pepper if you want a kick, if folks dont like it then leave it out.
Notice I dont use any salt, there is enough in the mix to kill a horsie and possibly some in the meat too, have to look at the label for that info. I really aim to use things like milk and salt sparingly, fresh veggies as often as I can sneak em in.
ANYWAYS: mix all this crap in a big bowl, I think I remembered all the ingredients..haha
You can use a shallow baking dish (2-2.5 inches or so deep, 11x19 in size should do it) and fire it up, use the directions on the packet to bake (probably 350ish for 45 mins?).
The shallow dish makes it crust a little easier and makes more crust which folks like. If you do this wrong, its got TOO many veggies and its obvious. If you undercut it, they vanish and folks never notice them. SURPRISE!
Bonus: There is NO MOOSEN in it, so thats another SURPRISE! 
This can also be done without eggs if you wish. Its very simple, I know, but done correctly (which Ive done many once out of 4 times?) it kicks ass. But, even halfassed its not bad, its still meat+spices+veggies.....it just has to balance just so, in favor of the meat+spices, then veggies. YMMV as well as your personal tastes. It might not call for that much garlic, but I dont mind a hefty kick. PS, when using garlic in other applications (stir fry) I add it as late as I possibly can, since it will be less bitter the less it cooks...hate adding it way too early, but thats me.
As a glaze, or side dipping stuff, you can mix some wostershitrererere sauce, mustard, and some ketchup at a 2:2:1 ratio, should be ok...thats grans recipe I think so YMMV, taste test n fine tune it...I aint taking responsibility for that one...


1 comment:

  1. I saw the link to your blog on AllRecipes. I've been admiring your pictures and recipes. There is a link to my Facebook page on my blog at http://lifeinanarv.blogspot.com could you send me a friend request? I'd like to talk to you about promoting your blog on mine. I'll talk to you soon, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete